Suicidal Depression is a form of depression. Depression is a phenomenon that almost everyone in his life faces. For many, depression stays for a more extended period. Still, many do defeat it with the help of willpower and proper treatment. The intensity of depression also varies. Many people suffer from a moderate type of depression that most of the time gets cured itself without any medical treatment. But the severe Suicidal Depression makes the conditions worst. The patient may consider attempting suicide. Many times this consideration turns into action as well. This is a severe medical issue that needs proper systematic treatment to sprout life’s hope in the patient’s heart.
If someone from your family suffers from a Suicidal Depression problem, then you must realize that you are the one who is closest to the patient. So it would be best if you observed his daily behaviors and activities. And if you notice that he is getting more and more depressed and there is a risk of him taking his life out of the growing Suicidal Depression, you should be waiting no more and must intervene as swiftly as possible. He must be subjected to emergency medical treatment, as this is the only way for him to return to life.
Suicidal thoughts with depression are extreme cases. Not everyone who suffers from Suicidal Depression will have thoughts of taking his life.
But if someone diagnosed with depression has the following symptoms, then the risk of suicide will increase to guarantor margins:
- He was not enjoying the things that they once wanted. A depressed football player will, for example, no more enjoy playing football, or for instance, he will not enjoy spending time with his family as well.
- He is becoming hopeless. There is no goal in his life, and he is staying no happier. The desire for energy has started to vanish.
- Not being able to sleep is one of the most significant causes of the extreme level of Suicidal Depression. According to a study, 65 to 90 percent of the adults and 90 percent of the children who suffer from depression actually have insomnia. This sleeplessness leads to depression, and depression leads to suicide.
- He is getting irritated quickly and so is getting involved in more and more conflicts and arguments.
- He is continuously suffering from extreme panic attacks.
- Getting involved in drug abuse makes the conditions even more worst. Suicidal Depression gets more entrenched when the patient does not get the drug that he desires for. According to a study, 50 percent of the people who suffer from severe mental health issues are actual affected by drug use. Twenty-nine percent of the total mentally ill people were either drug or alcohol abusers.
Probabilities of Suicidal Depression
As it has already been mentioned, Suicidal Depression, substance abuse, and the risk of suicide all are interlinked. The same is the case in the United States. The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) conducted a study, and according to the results of that study, 90 percent of the people who take their lives in the United States of America struggle with the problem of either Suicidal Depression or substance abuse disorder, and in many of cases a blend of both of the mentioned issues.
NIMH also considers the following factors as the risk for suicidal depression:
- Suicidal thoughts or attempting suicide once or twice
- Genes also play a role in this regard. Some people have Suicidal Depression in their genetics. This may get severe as well. Moreover, excessive usage of drugs and alcohol abuse also contribute to the arousal of suicidal thoughts
- History of suicide in your family can also push you towards taking your life. One may think that if he can, then why can’t I?
- Having a history of violence in the family-like being subjected to physical abuse or sexual abuse can also evoke suicidal thoughts
- A man in the prison stays in loneliness. A normal man may survive this period of aloofness, but for an already depressed soul, this will make the conditions even more worst. He may take his life as well
- Firearms in the house are also one of the reasons for increasing suicides. Committing suicide by use of these firearms is easier
American Association of Suicidology, did a study on the relationship between suicide and Suicidal Depression, and they concluded with the following results:
- The primary type of Suicidal Depression that results in suicide is due to mental health problems.
- Patients must be treated as soon as they are diagnosed with the problem of Suicidal Depression. As 20 percent of the patients who do not get the proper treatment end up committing suicide
- Depression is one of the most dominant factors behind the increasing suicide rates, as 66 percent of the people who commit suicide are patients of Suicidal Depression.
- The suicide rate in men due to Suicidal Depression is more than that in women. 7 out of 100 men suffering from Suicidal Depression commit suicide, while in women, the ratio is 1 out of 100
- If you are an average person, then the risk of you taking your life by yourself due to some reason other than Suicidal Depression becomes 20 times lesser.
- Suicidal Depression is not something that happens just once. It can strike you again and again. Periodic attacks of depression take the risk of developing suicidal thoughts to culmination.
- The more a person is involved in drugs and alcohol, the more are his chances of developing suicidal thoughts.
Substance Abuse and Addiction
Drugs and alcohols are the medications that the patient uses to treat himself. This is just an effort by them to satisfy their emptiness. Heroin, cocaine, and cannabis, etc., may provide temporary peace of mind, but in the long run, they serve as slow poison for you as well as your body. They all increase the magnitude of Suicidal Depression. Panic attacks resulting from the depression become of more extended periods now. People who initially loved you and wanted to take you out of the depression also start to maintain a social distancing from you. This is understandable because one will not like to stay in the company of a drug abuser. So aloofness increases and this loneliness evokes suicidal thoughts in him. It is evident from the above discussion that drugs do not help in tackling Suicidal Depression. They make the conditions worst.
The only way of treating depression and drug abuse is by a Dual Diagnosis treatment that is an innovative way of tackling these issues. Suicidal Depression can be the result of many different causes. Some of them are as under:
Abuse is one of the most lethal things that cause Suicidal Depression. This abuse can be of any type, whether sexual, physical, or emotional. This type of happenings in early childhood or adulthood can cause severe depression later in life. Age is also one of the significant factors behind Suicidal Depression. As people grow older, they become more and more emotional and take everything seriously, so there do happen many things in their daily life that ignites these emotions and turn them into depression. Conflict with anyone and of any type gives tension. And if this conflict lasts longer, then the problem will soon convert into depression. A depressed person also gets involved in disputes more.
The death of some of your loved ones is a big shock that is difficult to handle. It entrenches a significant mark on your mind, and you keep on thinking about that person. These thoughts evoke Suicidal Depression in the person. If an already poor person loses some of his most precious possessions, he will also suffer from this fatal problem.
Some of the time, gender also becomes a reason for depression. Many women are body shamed. This shaming that is deemed as a big crime nowadays is the cause of Suicidal Depression. Most of the boys are also criticized for not being as strong as other boys. Taunts of such kind evoke depression that can also get severe.
Sophisticated Treatment for All Mental Health Disorders; Suicidal Depression
A Dual Diagnosis Treatment Program offers the possibility of reducing the likelihood of someone suffering from multiple serious problems, such as suicidal depression and substance abuse, and thereby improving the outlook of the individual in the future. If you have any questions or need assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at the number here via phone. We are here to assist you.
Read our findings into the current state of mental health care in the United States and we’ll provide a detailed look at how society currently views mental illness and what we hope to change in the future. Sam Webb explains how Recovery Unscripted was conceived.
As it has already been mentioned that genes are one of the most critical factors in the production of depression and, ultimately the suicidal thoughts.
If someone from your family had Suicidal Depression at some point in his life, it is more likely to happen to you as well.
- Staying active can help in tackling Suicidal Depression. It has been well said that an idle man’s brain is a devil’s playground. So one must engage himself in healthy activities to defeat Suicidal Depression.
- The best way of tackling this problem is through medical treatment. One must consult a doctor as soon as he realizes that something is going bad with his medical condition. A psychiatrist can be much helpful in this regard.
- Avoid the conflict as much as possible. Most of the time, a man gets depressed due to a problem with someone. So try to be relaxed and calm as much as possible.
- Hobbies are also helpful and help to stay engaged. Developing hobbies if you don’t have any and talking about them with your close circle can help to mitigate suicidal depression.
In mental health, the patient must be treated not only for the symptoms but also for the cause, the condition, and other factors that may aggravate his condition. Mental health and treatment vary from one patient to another, and so are the medications are given to them.
Therefore, the right kind of treatment for suicidal depression depends on the patient and on the family members who support him or her in this effort. Sometimes, the family members themselves may not be aware of the problems behind a patient’s behavior. Hence the therapist’s assistance becomes all the more valuable and essential.
The best way to start is to create awareness of suicidal depression among family members about mental health. Then they can decide what degree of treatment would be most beneficial for the patient, and accordingly, they can approach their relatives and friends and ask for help. The most effective forms of treatment combine both medication and psychotherapy, and the treatments should include some form of social support as well. Treatment should be multidimensional, and family members should learn to identify those things that irritate a person and work on these things so that there are no flare-ups due to Suicidal Depression.
Ben Lesser is one of the most sought-after experts in health, fitness and medicine. His articles impress with unique research work as well as field-tested skills. He is a freelance medical writer specializing in creating content to improve public awareness of health topics. We are honored to have Ben writing exclusively for Dualdiagnosis.org.